Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Butterick 6015; ca. 1952; Quick & Easy One Piece Wrap Dress. Here's the smartest idea of the season . . . a dress that has only back waist and shoulder seams, that has its back wrapped around to the front for a sheath-and-overskirt look. Binding finishes the edges. Wear it for any occasion. Made from just 3 pattern pieces, no facings! A "Mother & Daughter" fashion, for Daughter see Butterick 6204. Featured in Butterick Pattern Book, Vacation 1952
For the Australian re-released version of this pattern see Butterick 7500
Here's a look at the history of the Walk-away Dress:
During the 1950's, Butterick experienced a phenomenon it had not known since the 'Garibaldi Suit' of the late 1860's. It was pattern 6015, and it was dubbed the 'walk-away' dress, because it was so easy you could "Start it after breakfast... walk-away in it for luncheon!".
It's simple yet flattering wrap design and easy construction were what made it so popular. Sales of the pattern were so great, that at one point manufacturing of all other patterns ceased, and only the 'walk-away' dress was produced until all back-orders for this dress could be filled.
Fabrics - crepe, taffeta, faille, satin, velveteen, shantung, gingham, chambray, cotton prints, linen, pique, cotton broadcloth, light weight wool crepe, silk.
This pattern has been reprinted as Retro Butterick 4790
Links to reviews/blog posts Edit
- The Vintage Traveler Butterick 6015 - The Walk-Away Dress
- Living Life la dolce VINTAGE
- A Dress A Day -- It's baaaaaaaack.
- Reviews on sewing.patternreview.com
- Family Trunk Project - Walkaway
- Just Patterns and Such
- Vintage Butterick 6015
- Practical Polly - Whirlin' Away
- Modern Vintage Cupcakes - Butterick 6015
- Sew-Retro Blog
- New Vintage Lady- Patterns I'm sick of seeing: Special Edition
- How to Make Butterick 4790 Look Like the Pattern Cover!
- A Rosy Pink (Perfectly Fitted!) Walkaway Dress
- Eight Mile Vintage Sews on Etsy - re-issued pattern size 14-16-18
- PatternPlaying Size 18 B36
[insert your username, and make sure your preferences allow for people to contact you via e-mail. Do not list your email address here!]